Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Are we settling into a new sleep routine...

Or was it just the shots?

Charlie had his 1st set of vaccines yesterday. He did a great job and mommy got through them ok. I can't believe how hard it was to go through. I went into it very scientifically -- it's only a few seconds, it'll make him healthier, etc. And I figured he has such painful sounding screams anyway, that I would be used to the sound. Before he got the shots, he was already crying and fussing, and when she gave him the first shot, his scream wasn't any worse than when he would refuse to eat from gas pains when he was only a few weeks old. But i still started to tear up when she adminstered the shots :( I felt like I couldn't do anything to help him. But he was so brave and calmed down once I started nursing him.

He actually did really well for the first few hours at home, without any tylenol. He took a nap and when he woke up, he must have been sore because then he was miserable. But after a dose of tylenol, a long nap and a bath, he was back to his old self. I was glad I didn't need to give him any more medication. And he slept great last night! 9:30-3, 4-6:30 and then stayed in bed til 8.

He has been giving us a longer 1st sleep for the past few days now, so I really hope he is settling into good pattern (and it wasn't just the shots). Even more exciting -- we don't have to hold him anymore. We can actually put him down, on his back and he will stay asleep! Even after his night feeding... granted it's in our bed, but one hurdle at a time.

I have also started putting together his Xmas list... more to get me organized and figure out exactly what he needs. I keep thinking of things but then forget. I have begun to write it down. Luckily most of the big things he will need in the next year he already has -- like the next car seat, stroller and high chair. So we basically just need "fun" stuff -- like toys and winter clothes.

No comments: