Saturday, April 26, 2008

Can I bring the playstation into the labor and delivery room?

I finally got a chance to play the "Rock band" video game on Playstation 3 tonight. OMG that is the BEST game ever!! Well, I am absolutely awful on the drums, I was able to get through a few songs on the guitar/bass. So I think I have decided that Steve and I need to bring the PS2 to the hospital and I can play Guitar Hero to pass the time in labor. What a better way to take my mind off of the delivery!! How funny would it be if I added "Guitar Hero" to my birth plan for the Dr??

We had our 1st birthing class today. We (ok I) have chosen the hypnobirth method for our natural child birth technique. Most people don't know what it is, but basically it was created by a women in NH who was a hypnotherapist, and it uses the theory of hypnosis to aid in the birthing process. The underlying theory is that labor hurts because of fear, which causes tension and this causes the pain. It uses self-hypnosis to put the woman in a deep relaxation, which allows the muscles to relax and allows the body and muscles to work the way nature intended.

We watched a few births today and it was absolutely amazing to see these women birth a child with no screaming or yelling, and in a calm and relaxed (albeit laboring) state. It was amazing, and nothing like the "Baby Story" show that I have seen, which scare the crap out of me!

The whole process seems so interesting. It will teach us techniques to get me into a relaxed state of mind. I have heard that these techniques are applicable to so many other situations in life, as it is a type of hypnotherapy, so I also hope it helps me to mediate and relax myself in general. I am too stressed in life as it is and hope i can learn how to become more laid back.

No comments: